Research Assistant Professor
Degrees: B.A. Carleton College, Northfield, MN
M.D. University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
M.S. Informatics, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO
Additional study: Residency, Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, NH
National Library of Medicine Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Biomedical and Health Informatics, Dept. of Health Management and Informatics, University of Missouri
Certifications: Anatomic and Clinical Pathology; Cytopathology; Hematopathology
- pathology informatics
- computational biology
Dr. Arthur's research interests include several biomedical informatics domains. He is involved in the computational organization and analysis of genomic data obtained primarily from research data derived from the study of lymphomas and leukemias by Dr. Charles W. Caldwell's laboratory, but also utilizing public datasets as well. Specific areas of interest include the identification of dysfunctional neoplastic alterations of transcription factor activity and cellular pathways and the development of new tumor taxonomies based on these changes. Dr. Arthur also has a longstanding interest in the development of decision support systems for surgical pathology and is evaluating means of representing, managing and interpreting genomic and proteomic knowledge in relation to image analysis of histopathologic slides.
- Popescu M and Arthur J. OntoQuest: A Physcian Decision Support System Based on Ontological Queries of the Hospital Database. American Medical Informatics Association Annual Symposium, November, 2006.
- Sjahputera O, Keller JM, Davis JW, Taylor KH, Rahmatpanah F, Shi H, Anderson DT, Blisard SN, Luke RH, Popescu M, Arthur GL, Caldwell CW.Relational analysis of CpG islands methylation and gene expression in human lymphomas using possibilistic C-means clustering and modified cluster fuzzy density. IEEE/ACM Trans Comput Biol Bioinform. 2007 Apr-Jun;4(2):176-89.
- Taylor KH, Pena-Hernandez KE, Davis JW, Arthur GL, Duff DJ, Shi H, Rahmatpanah FB, Sjahputera O, Caldwell CW. Large-scale CpG methylation analysis identifies novel candidate genes and reveals methylation hotspots in acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Cancer Res. 2007 Mar 15;67(6):2617-25.
- Pena-Hernandez KE, Mahamaneerat WK, Kobayashi T, Shyu CR, Arthur GL, Caldwell CW. Mapping Biomedical Literature with WNT Signaling Pathway. American Medical Informatics Association Annual Symposium, Nov 6,2008:1089.
- Bennett LB, Schnabel JL, Kelchen JM, Taylor KH, Guo J, Arthur GL, Papageorgio CN, Shi H, Caldwell CW. DNA hypermethylation accompanied by transcriptional repression in follicular lymphoma. Genes Chromosomes Cancer 2009 Sep:48(9):828-41.
- Arthur GL, Popescu M, Gong Y, Caldwell CW. A Fuzzy Logic-based Decision Support System for the Pathologic Diagnosis of Small B-cell Lymphomas. American Medical Informatics Association Annual Symposium, Nov, 2009.