BA Biology, Williams College, Williamstown, Mass.
M.D., University of Miami School of Medicine
Ph.D. Physiology & Biophysics, Univ of Miami Coral Gables
Diplomate, National Board of Medical Examiners
Certified by the American Board of Pathology in Anatomic Pathology and Neuropathology
Anatomic Pathology residency, Massachusetts General Hospital; Neuropathology residency, Masschusetts General Hospital
Clinical Professor of Pathology & Anatomical Sciences, University of Missouri School of Medicine (2007-present)
Professor of Neuropathology and Neurosurgery, New York University School of Medicine (2002-2007)
Associate Professor of Neuropathology and Neurosurgery, New York University School of Medicine (1994-2002)
Assistant Professor of Pathology (Neuropathology) and Neurosurgery, New York University School of Medicine (1987-1994)
Assistant Professor of Pathology, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School (1984-1987)
- central nervous system tumors
- cerebral ischemia
- residency education
Dr Miller has a long-standing interest in the pathology and biology of central nervous system tumors, including pathological markers of prognosis, the molecular basis of CNS tumor formation and promotion, and animal models of primary CNS tumors for translational research. His current focus is on the identification, characterization, and prognostic significance of stem-like cell as subpopulations of such tumors.
He also has an interest in the early initiating events in neuronal cell death in ischemic stroke. He has collaborated in the use of a novel technique, tissue-based Matrix-Assisted Lasor Desorption Mass Spectrometry (MALDI-MS) to analyze the earliest cellular changes in ischemic neurons in an animal model.
- Miller DC, Koslow MK, Budzilovich GN, Burstein DE. Synaptophysin: A sensitive and specific marker for ganglion cells in central nervous system neoplasms. Hum Pathol, 21,271_276, 1990.
- Miller DC, Lang FF, Epstein FJ. Central nervous system gangliogliomas, I: Pathology. J Neurosurg, 79, 859-866, 1993.
- Miller DC, Hochberg FH, Harris NL, Gruber ML, Louis DN, Cohen H. Pathology with clinical correlations of primary CNS lymphoma: The Massachusetts General Hospital experience 1958-1989. Cancer 74, 1383-1397, 1994.
- Newcomb EW, Cohen H, Lee SR, Bhalla SK, Hayes RL, Miller DC. Survival of patients with glioblastoma multiforme is not influenced by altered expression of p16, p53, EGFR, MDM2 or Bcl-2 genes. Brain Pathol 8, 655-667, 1998.
- Pevsner PH, Naftolin F, Hillman DE, Miller DC, Fadiel A, Kogus A, Stern A, Samuels HH. Direct identification of proteins from intact T47D cells and murine brain tissue by MALDI/CID. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 21, 429-436, 2007.
- Miller DC. Modern Surgical Neuropathology. Cambridge University Press, 2009.