BA Biology, Williams College, Williamstown, Mass. (1974)
M.D., University of Miami School of Medicine (1978)
Ph.D. Physiology & Biophysics, Univ of Miami Coral Gables (1980)
Diplomate, National Board of Medical Examiners (1981)
Certified by the American Board of Pathology in Anatomic Pathology and Neuropathology (1985)
Anatomic Pathology residency, Massachusetts General Hospital (1980-82) Neuropathology residency, Masschusetts General Hospital (1982-84)
Clinical Professor of Pathology & Anatomical Sciences, University of Missouri School of Medicine (2007-present)
Professor of Neuropathology and Neurosurgery, New York University School of Medicine (2002-2007)
Associate Professor of Neuropathology and Neurosurgery, New York University School of Medicine (1994-2002)
Assistant Professor of Pathology (Neuropathology) and Neurosurgery, New York University School of Medicine (1987-1994)
Assistant Professor of Pathology, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School (1984-1987)
Director, Pathology Residency Program 2009-Current
Chair, External Advisory Board, NF Clinical Trials Consortium, Department of Defense Congressionally Directed Medical Research Program in Neurofibromatosis; Member, NF Integration Panel
Member, Children's Oncology Group, CNS Disease Committee
- central nervous system tumors
- cerebral ischemia
- residency education
Dr Miller has a long-standing interest in the pathology and biology of central nervous system tumors, including pathological markers of prognosis, the molecular basis of CNS tumor formation and promotion, and animal models of primary CNS tumors for translational research. His current focus is on the identification, characterization, and prognostic significance of stem-like cell as subpopulations of such tumors.
He also has an interest in the early initiating events in neuronal cell death in ischemic stroke. He has collaborated in the use of a novel technique, tissue-based Matrix-Assisted Lasor Desorption Mass Spectrometry (MALDI-MS) to analyze the earliest cellular changes in ischemic neurons in an animal model.
- Miller DC, Koslow MK, Budzilovich GN, Burstein DE. Synaptophysin: A sensitive and specific marker for ganglion cells in central nervous system neoplasms. Hum Pathol, 21,271_276, 1990.
- Miller DC, Lang FF, Epstein FJ. Central nervous system gangliogliomas, I: Pathology. J Neurosurg, 79, 859-866, 1993.
- Miller DC, Hochberg FH, Harris NL, Gruber ML, Louis DN, Cohen H. Pathology with clinical correlations of primary CNS lymphoma: The Massachusetts General Hospital experience 1958-1989. Cancer 74, 1383-1397, 1994.
- Newcomb EW, Cohen H, Lee SR, Bhalla SK, Hayes RL, Miller DC. Survival of patients with glioblastoma multiforme is not influenced by altered expression of p16, p53, EGFR, MDM2 or Bcl-2 genes. Brain Pathol 8, 655-667, 1998.
- Pevsner PH, Naftolin F, Hillman DE, Miller DC, Fadiel A, Kogus A, Stern A, Samuels HH. Direct identification of proteins from intact T47D cells and murine brain tissue by MALDI/CID. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 21, 429-436, 2007.
- Miller DC. Modern Surgical Neuropathology. Cambridge University Press, 2009.
- Allen JC, Sposto R, Donahue B, Miller DC, Mehta M, Jakacki R, Rorke LB, Robertson P, Holmes E, Vezina G, Muraszko K, Prados M, Pucetti D, Chan K-W. A phase II study (CCG 9931) of pre-radiotherapy chemotherapy followed by hyperfractionated radiotherapy for newly diagnosed high risk medulloblastoma/PNET: A report from the Children's Oncology Group. Int J Rad Oncol Biol Physics 74, 1006-1011, 2009.
- Miller DC, Paullus WC. Gangliogliomas and other low grade neuronal neoplasms of the central nervous system: diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis. In Tumors of the Central Nervous System, Volume 9. E Hayat (ed). Vienna, Springer Verlag, pp 155-168, 2012.
- Miller DC. Gangliogliomas of the spinal cord: neuroimaging correlations with pathology, controversies in pathological diagnosis, and prognosis. In Tumors of the Central Nervous System, Volume 6. E Hayat (ed). Vienna, Springer Verlag, pp 97-103, 2012.
- Soni CR, Kumar G, Sahota P, Miller DC, Litofsky NS. Metastases to Meckelís cave: report of two cases and comparative analysis of malignant tumors with meningioma and schwannoma of Meckelís cave. Clin Neurol Neurosurg 112, 927-932, 2010.
- Leary SES, Zhou T, Holmes E, Geyer JR, Miller DC. Histology predicts a favorable outcome in young children with desmoplastic medulloblastoma: A report from the Childrenís Oncology Group. Cancer 117-3263-3267, 2011.
- Rath P, Shi H, Miller DC, Litofsky SN, Anthony DC, Feng Q, Franklin C, Pei L, Free A, Liu J, Ren M, Kirk MD. Isolation and characterization of a population of stem-like progenitor cells from an atypical meningioma. Exp Molec Pathol 90, 179-188, 2011.
- Najjar S, Pearlman D, Miller DC, Devinsky O. Microglia-driven epilepsy. The Neurologist, 17, 249-254, 2011.
- Ashley DM, Merchant TE, Strother D, Zhou T, Duffner P, Burger PC, Miller DC, Lyon N, Bonner MJ, Msall M, Geyer R, Kun L, Coleman L, Pollack IF. Induction chemotherapy and conformal radiation therapy for very young children with nonmetastatic medulloblastoma: Childrenís Oncology Group study P9934. J Clin Oncol 30, 3181-3186, 2012.
- Odem JL, Miller DC. Angiocentric glioma, pilomyxoid astrocytoma, and pituicytoma: new entities in the World Health Organization Classification. In Tumors of the Central Nervous System, Volume 11. E Hayat (ed). Vienna, Springer Verlag, in press 2013.
- Duff DJ, Miller DC. Ependymomas. Pathol Case Rev, in press 2013.